Easy Ways to Play Up a Spring Wedding
Dreaming of peonies, sundresses, and swapping vows in a garden? Here’s how to incorporate a little bit of spring into every wedding day detail.
by Allison Micarelli
Style and Decor
- Add a fun spring feel to your celebration through colour and patterns. Choose a pretty pink gingham fabric, and feature it everywhere.
- Combine patterns for a unique look. Go for sophisticated stripes with flirty polka dots for a playful effect.
- Choose a spring colour, and use a slightly different shade of fabric on each reception table. Your tables will look unified, but not dull and boring.
- Have a common springtime motif, such as a peony or a bird, printed on the invites.
- Choose a casual, yet engaging font to reflect a fun spring feeling.
- Instead of a traditional belly band or wrap, use a wide ribbon in your wedding colours to tie up your invites.
- Have your florist pair your favourite springtime flower with fruits (ruby-red raspberries, luscious blackberries, or even strawberries) for a fete that feels as homegrown as a picnic in the park.
- Hang floral wreaths from the entry doors of your church or temple, or from a tree at your ceremony.
- Bring spring indoors by creating a space awash with tiny spring blooms — from single-bloom bud vases lining the bar to floral-adorned baskets in the bathrooms at the reception.
- Fill large punch bowls with fresh lemonade, iced tea, and white-wine sangria, garnished with fresh lemons and fruit for a colourful drink menu.
- Instead of more traditional beef, serve spring lamb with a garden-fresh herb sauce.
- Ditch the hot soup idea and present delicate chilled pea soup in shot glasses as hors d’oeuvres.
- For a cake that spells spring, serve white cake covered in sugar-dipped long-stem cherries.
- Choose a flavour that’s light and fluffy, like a strawberry shortcake covered in pale pink fondant and topped with real strawberries.
- Have your cake baker add colourful sugar flowers to your cake tiers.
- Give bulbs or packets of flower seeds that guests can plant in their gardens or window boxes, tagged with a personalised label.
- Be benevolent and offer a charitable donation to plant a tree in each guest’s name.
- Offer mini potted herbs at each place setting to enhance a garden theme.