Should We Serve Cake And Dessert?
Question: My mother insists that we serve dessert in addition to the wedding cake -- she believes the cake should be sliced for guests to take home. I think dessert and cake is too much, so I was planning to have a tray of cake set on each table, with cake bags available if anyone wants to take some home. What's appropriate?
Answer: by The Knot
There is no strict etiquette rule on this. Many couples choose to serve dessert in addition to wedding cake but this is in no way mandatory, and the trend today is definitely toward taste. Wedding cakes are not just for show anymore — cake designers and couples fully expect it to be the primary dessert at the wedding. Traditionally, guests take home slices of the groom’s cake, but not everyone has a groom’s cake. Your idea of putting cake trays on each table with the option of taking a slice home sounds perfectly appropriate.
- Winter Reception Tables for Every Style
- Should we have a bridal party table at our cocktail wedding reception?
- Can you have weddings on public land, for example in a park?
- Can the bride make a speech at her wedding?
- How can I avoid guests seeing my reception venue being set up?
- Is it Ok to Not Have a Seating Plan?
- What is the correct bridal bouquet etiquette?
- Stuck With Extras We Don’t Want?
- Place Cards For Guests’ Dates?
- Banishing Bugs at Outdoor Affairs?