Is A Vegetarian Meal Okay?
Question: My fiancé and I are strict vegetarians (vegan) and we don't drink. I spoke to my mum about having a non-alcoholic vegetarian wedding and she couldn't believe I would even consider such a thing. I don't know why she was so surprised -- I've been a vegetarian and an animal rights activist for 10 years! What is your opinion? Is it feasible?
Answer: by The Knot
Sure it is. The key to making it work is keeping your guests in mind. There are plenty of yummy vegetarian meals that meat-eaters will love, so it’s a matter of being creative and generous with your menu to ensure any guests who are wary of the concept will feel included and welcomed to chow down! It depends on your guest list too — would you consider offering a fish or chicken dish for those who, for whatever reason, really can’t “stomach” a strict vegetarian menu? (In the same way that most meat-eaters often offer a vegetarian option at their receptions.) Find a good caterer and work with him or her to put together a balanced meal that everyone can enjoy. And make sure that the site you decide to use for the reception will let you bring in the caterer of your choice, or that the on-site caterer is willing to do a vegetarian meal — and is good at it. All that said, it’s absolutely acceptable for you to want to do a non-alcoholic vegetarian reception — it’s your wedding and your lifestyle, so the day should reflect it. Just keep the “hosting your guests” aspect in mind, and be sure that everything you’re serving them — food and drink — is delectable.
- Should we have a bridal party table at our cocktail wedding reception?
- Can you have weddings on public land, for example in a park?
- Can the bride make a speech at her wedding?
- How can I avoid guests seeing my reception venue being set up?
- Is it Ok to Not Have a Seating Plan?
- What is the correct bridal bouquet etiquette?
- Stuck With Extras We Don’t Want?
- Place Cards For Guests’ Dates?
- Banishing Bugs at Outdoor Affairs?
- Contributing When I Don’t Know The Couple?