Can you have weddings on public land, for example in a park?
Question: I'm having trouble finding a venue I like for my wedding within a tight budget. Can you have weddings on public land i.e. a park? I'm curious as to whether you need permission or to pay any fees to do so?
Answer: by The Knot
When it comes to the wedding ceremony arranging to have this in a public area should be quite simple. Firstly research which particular government department is responsible for managing the space you are interested in. It may be the local council, appropriate state’s National Parks and Wildlife Service or specific trust body for the location. Then contact them to find out how you can book, dates available and any fees applicable.
Similarly wedding receptions may also be held in a limited number of these public park areas, but keep in mind there will be varying levels of restrictions – including not being able to have the space roped off exclusively for your use or have a tent or marquee to not being able to serve alcohol, have amplified music, caterers serve food or even light candles (considered a bush fire hazard).
Unless you only have a handful of guests and are content with a basic picnic for your reception party it is usually much easier to book into a venue. They will give you greater freedom – as well as electricity, private toilets and running water – to throw a fun party! That’s not to say all venues will be super expensive, you should be able to find some venues with hire fees from little as $500-$1000 per day.
Check out these great venue suggestions as well as the venues listed in our Supplier section to get you started:
- Winter Reception Tables for Every Style
- Should we have a bridal party table at our cocktail wedding reception?
- Can you have weddings on public land, for example in a park?
- Can the bride make a speech at her wedding?
- How can I avoid guests seeing my reception venue being set up?
- Is it Ok to Not Have a Seating Plan?
- What is the correct bridal bouquet etiquette?
- Stuck With Extras We Don’t Want?
- Place Cards For Guests’ Dates?
- Banishing Bugs at Outdoor Affairs?