Alternatives to Chicken?
Question: My wedding is going to be a formal evening affair at a lovely club, but I am having a tough time selecting an entrée for the reception. My future mother-in-law (who is paying for almost our entire wedding) said to just select a chicken dish, and not get hung up on serving something fancy. She is being a real stickler on this point. I know that "everyone likes chicken", but I was hoping for something a little different. Are there any other options you can suggest?
Answer: by The Knot
Since your future mother-in-law is paying for the majority of your wedding, you do need to be somewhat sensitive to her tastes and budget constraints. That said, there are a host of inventive chicken recipes that won’t break the bank and that don’t come close to resembling the dried-up broiled chicken breast you probably remember from your senior formal. A good chef can do wonders with this white meat mainstay, but there are also plenty of other options to give your wedding menu some style: duck, veal, lamb and pork tenderloin are all nice alternatives to chicken, and can be prepared in endless varieties to suit your taste and the style of your wedding. I suggest you do a little research (look through food magazines, cook books, and even try to catch a cooking show), talk to some caterers and get quotes for various menu choices, and then present your case to your mother-in-law. She’ll no doubt be so appreciative of all your legwork and your efforts to plan a budget-conscious menu that you’ll both end up happy. One final note: You should probably consider your guests’ dietary restrictions (vegetarian, kosher, etc.) and offer some alternative to meat as well.
- Should we have a bridal party table at our cocktail wedding reception?
- Can you have weddings on public land, for example in a park?
- Can the bride make a speech at her wedding?
- How can I avoid guests seeing my reception venue being set up?
- Is it Ok to Not Have a Seating Plan?
- What is the correct bridal bouquet etiquette?
- Stuck With Extras We Don’t Want?
- Place Cards For Guests’ Dates?
- Banishing Bugs at Outdoor Affairs?
- Contributing When I Don’t Know The Couple?